Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"My love for you is stronger than 7 gorillas."




I really wanted to take the time to tell about the day of Henry’s birth and how beautiful, brave and sensational J is but it seems so intimate and personal that I can’t just slap something together. Life is moving forward and I am excited about today. Waiting on finding time to adequately write about the birth is getting me behind on all of the other great things happening.

Today is the first day I feel like a real mommy. The last two weeks there have been a lot of people over to the house. I haven’t really been faced with filling our day up until Papa Steve gets home from a long day of work. I’d say we did a pretty good job for our first day.

We started out with a good eatin’ of 3oz of formula, a diaper change, and getting dressed; pretty normal stuff. Then we went to visit Aurora, the school where I worked, to return my keys and to visit during the lunch hour. Everyone threw oooohs and aaaahs at Henry and gave us lots of good wishes.

Then we were off to visit Auntie Kristin at work. She was super happy to see her nephew and took a break to hold and cuddle him.

Then we had a couple of errands to run at the library and bank. At the library I figured I would get Henry his first library card. Hey, I know he is young but Steve started the college fund so I started the library card. College can’t really happen without him being able to read!





Henry had a bottle and a poop in the newspaper section. My dad would like this as we have a long running joke about places that tend to encourage the body’s constitutions to begin moving. We received his library card and went to check out some music. Thanks to our friend Chris’ veteran father advice we checked out some music CDs called, “Lullaby Renditions” of Bob Marley, The Rolling Stones, and Radiohead. Then I found a CD called, “The Bottle Let Me Down.” The cover is funny and included songs titled Funky Butt, I Am My Own Grandpa, Don’t Wipe Your Face on Your Sleeve, and Hinky Dinky Dee. I’m a very visual person so when I spotted a CD with a little boy with very new wave make up I grabbed Since Henry’s alter ego is Hank, which is undeniably country, I picked up Buck Howdy’s Skidaddle to which I know Turkey in the Straw has to be a big hit! Then to round things out I picked up Granjera Bilingue (Bilingual Barnyard). I know El Chanchito is going to rock.

I figured I should check out a couple of books too so I went to the cardboard book section. I was lost and didn’t have any notion of what to pick but I figured whatever I chose couldn’t do too much harm to his fragile psyche as most of the books are less than 20 pages. We checked out “My Love for You,” by Susan L. Roth, “What’s Wrong, Little Pookie” by Sandra Boynton and “Maybe My Baby,” by Irene O’Book.



The great thing about the library is everyone stops me to talk to Henry and then they tell me how great I look for having a newborn. One woman even said, “Oh bless you for even getting out of the house and combing your hair.” I told her we adopted Henry and she replied, “Oh! That’s great but girl you’re still doin’ good!”

After the library we went to the bank to drop off a copy of my driver’s license so we could get Henry’s savings account opened up.

Then it was back to the car with one last stop to see Auntie Kristin. At Soma we ran into an old friend, Brad, and a newer friend, Jonathan. Now we are home and The Boy is snoozing and I’m getting ready to fold the laundry and give Steve a kiss when he gets home. This is great!

When Steve arrived home we relaxed a while and listened to our CDs then went for a walk around the neighborhood. It was a nice evening and Henry slept through the entire thing. He even slept through the gaggle of ladies that stopped us to say how cute he is and how happy they are for us.

We just ate dinner and are watching Obama’s speech. I think it is time for bed now.

What a happy day with my boys.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He doesn't look too happy laying on his daddy's chect, does he?

Anonymous said...

This is my daddy. This is my daddy.
He makes me feel warm and safe. Ahh!